It’s the only way to know if the air you are breathing is contaminated, and to what level.
Certain strains of mold produce mycotoxins and can cause many adverse health effects from sore throat and coughing to burning eyes or skin rash. Prolonged exposure can lead to serious health issues including respiratory infection, fatigue, sinusitis and even depression. Young children may be especially susceptible to adverse health effects due to toxic mold exposure.
After mold has been discovered in a home or building, the primary concern of the property owner is to have remediation done quickly. The remediation process includes physically removing damaged materials with mold spore growth, then cleaning and drying out damp areas to return mold levels to normal.
One potential hazard that is often overlooked during a mold remediation is the presence of asbestos in the materials that are being remediated. In the haste of removing mold-damaged materials, a contractor may be disturbing asbestos containing materials and releasing asbestos fibers into the air, where they can be inhaled.
Asbestos exposure is a health hazard that can cause lung disease and lung cancer. Many types of building materials in use prior to 1980 frequently contained asbestos fibers for insulation, fireproofing, sound absorption, and strengthening. After 1980 suppliers were allowed to sell materials on-hand. Therefore, caution should be taken with any suspicious remediation materials.
It is not possible to identify toxic mold or asbestos in the air just by looking with the naked eye. These can only be positively identified by a trained professional using specialized air-collection equipment and microscopy.
We use state-of-the-art equipment and procedures to deliver fast and accurate test results.