Bulk Asbestos Sample Collection
These guidelines should only be used to complement the judgement of an experienced professional. When using these procedures, minimize exposure to potential health hazards through the use of protective clothing, respirator, eye wear and gloves.
- Shut down any heating or cooling systems to minimize the spread of any released fibers.
- Do not disturb the material any more than is needed to take a small sample.
- Wet the material using a fine mist of water containing a few drops of detergent before taking the sample. The water/detergent mist will reduce the possibility of releasing asbestos fibers.
- Carefully cut a piece from the entire depth of the material using, for example, a small knife, corer, or other sharp object.
- Cut only a small piece of the material. All materials can be grouped into two categories: friable, i.e., the material can be crushed into powder by hand, and nonfriable. The following amounts are adequate for testing:
- For friable samples – 1 teaspoon
- For nonfriable samples – 1 square inch piece
- For vermiculite samples – 500 ml (sample from bottom to top)
- Place the small piece into a clean container (for example a Ziplock bag). Tightly seal the container after the sample is in it.
- Use a damp paper towel to clean up any material on the outside of the container or around the area sampled.
- Label the container with an ID number (for example, Sample #1).
- At least 3 bulk samples shall be collected from each homogeneous area that is 1,000 ft2 or less.
- At least 5 bulk samples shall be collected from each homogeneous area that is greater than 1,000 ft2 but less than or equal to 5,000 ft2.
- At least 7 bulk samples shall be collected from each homogeneous area that is greater than 5,000 ft2.
- Procedures for collecting bulk asbestos samples are outlined in the following U.S. Environmental Protection Agency SESD Guidance Document:
- Note: You cannot be sure that a material contains asbestos by looking at it with the naked eye. Therefore, treat all suspect materials as if they contain asbestos.
Submitting Asbestos Samples
- Place the container with the sample(s) in a suitable container for transport.
- Please fill out a printable copy of the bulk form and/or air form and include with your sample(s).
- Enclose your payment (money order or personal check –reference our price list).
- If you prefer to pay by credit card, please call our office at (801) 486-0800.
- International customers must pay by credit card.
Mold Inspection and Sampling
We provide on-site mold inspection and air/tape sampling for your home, office or construction projects. Pre and post remediation testing is available.
Call us at (801) 859-9333 to schedule a mold inspection and sampling.